Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Just A Poem On Penance Or Not

NO PENANCE




My heart rattles in my chest as each stuttering beat


Desperately presses through the spasmodic muscle


In hope of moving oxygen filled blood cells


Into the farthest corners of my weakened flesh.






I know I will survive this night just as I know


The fatigue that saps my strength today


Is my own fault.






I did not stop.


I did not rest.


I did not protect this gift God gave.






Too busy doing what I thought best,


I ignored the way my toes dragged across the carpet.


As I tried to lift exhausted legs


And move a more exhausted body


To someplace distant from this work


Where I might meet with God.






His blessings pour down on me even as I move astray


Of rules intended to give more time upon this sphere


Until here is no longer here.






When I find that place I seek


We will meet and greet


And share that singularly sweet


Flow of His spirit.






All these rattles, squeaks and stuttering tangled steps


Become for me greedily treasured joy abounding


As they force me to my knees that I might better know


The One who gave His life to live in mine.





Michael McLarney June 21, 2001

1 comment: